Friday, July 01, 2005

We interrupt this program . . .

This is Bunny (Grover named me that, my real name is Shari). This is for all of you that have asked about how the whole "Grover thing" started, and for those of you who think we're insane because Grover "talks" to us. So here's the story.

Gruntley (aka Brent, my hubby) and his sister had a whole menagerie of stuffed animals when they were growing up. They all had stories and back stories and voices and names (crazy names such as Old Man Sinklepritzer). One of the "animals" was a stuffed Grover. When we got married Brent and his sister used to tell us stories about Grover and his crazy antics. So one day, Brent and I were in Walmart and we saw "our" Grover. We bought him, and Brent made him talk one night. I cracked up (meaning I'm entirely to blame for starting this WHOLE THING) and thus encouraged my hubby, the actor, to continue talking to me in the Grover voice (which we have to do an audio post of someday soon because it's a really funny voice. It doesn't sound like the Sesame Street Grover. I can do the voice too, but despite many efforts, none of our friends or family can figure out how to do it). What made it so funny was the stories and smartass comments that Grover would come up with that Brent would never dream of saying. So I think it was an outlet for Brent's creative side. Then we brought him over to my parents house one day and it just took on a life of it's own, with all of them (my 4 siblings, my parents, my niece and nephew) constantly asking about Grover, giving Grover gifts, requesting that he come along on family outings, etc. So how could we disappoint them? It really is funny to be around "Grover" (he's so going to kill me for putting his name in quotes . . . yes, I KNOW he's not real, but still, he is going to kill me) in person . . . I wish you all could meet him. LOL! I can't believe I just wrote that. We went to a church about 5 years ago and they actually used Grover in a slideshow once. THAT'S how famous he is. He keeps reminding us that he's the most famous personality on the internet. So that is how Grover came into our lives (although HE insists that he actually planted himself in Walmart through the Special Monster Adoption Program because he had screened us and found out that we were suitable adoptive parents, but decided to let us believe that we had "purchased" him at Walmart. See, I told you the stories he tells are crazy). Grover decided that all of his millions of fans needed to hear his weekly ramblings, and that is how his blog came to be. We know return you to your regularly scheduled Grover.

10 Comments:

At Monday, July 04, 2005 12:43:00 AM, Blogger Shari said...

AWwww . . . I'm sorry I burst the bubble! LOL! You can just pretend you never read that post. The Grover you know and love is still real. Hey, WE don't even think we bought him at Walmart anymore. ;-)

 
At Tuesday, July 05, 2005 1:15:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

You're both certifiable.

Thank Glod. ;)

 
At Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:40:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Has Gruntley been in a movie or TV show we would have seen? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

 
At Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:29:00 PM, Blogger Shari said...

Hey Dave, are you asking because Gruntley looks familiar or something? LOL! I'll let him answer that one. I can just imagine Linds answer to that question.

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:15:00 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Shari: I think he asked because, as of this post, you have now identified Brent not only as 'Gruntley,' but as 'Gruntley/Brent/Grover's Owner/my hubby/the actor.' (Like he NEEDED another random pseudonym???). Now, I'm pretty sure that the whole 'actor' thing was supposed to just refer to Gruntley's myriad of voices and expressions, rather than an actual career choice.

On the other hand, I could totally see him running around in diva mode, demanding to be served exactly 44 blue M&M's before every performance and refusing to drink any liquid other than Diet Rockstars served in champagne glasses hand blown in Germany (with little Grovers etched on the sides). So maybe the actor thing would work for him...

(DK: you probably saw him on COPS. I've heard he's a regular on the show. Look for a great big naked white guy being chased around with a little blue puppet on his left shoulder, talking to himself in two different voices. Yeah. That one.)

Anyways, Walmart clearly has a lot to answer for. *shakes head sadly*

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:58:00 PM, Blogger Shari said...

Excuse me, I had a blonde moment. But so did Gruntley, because he was wondering why Dave asked if Brent had been in a movie or TV too. We BOTH forgot that I had said "actor" in my post. Silly goofballs.

44 blue M&M's and Grover champagne glasses!! Baaahahahahaha!!!

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:00:00 PM, Blogger Linds said...

Yes. Other foodstuffs occurred to me, but there was this one actress- J Lo, maybe- who once made this whole big deal out of how there was NOT a bowl of green M&M's placed in her dressing room, when her contract stipulated that there would be. The media was making fun of her, and talked about how stupid it was to expect people to sit around, picking out all the green M&M's from the regular packages just so this diva chica could have a bowl of all-green M&Ms.

Agh. Seriously here, people. You can go to candy stores- or specialty party stores- and just BUY GREEN M&Ms. I promise, no cute little interns were harmed in the making of this contract clause. So what's the big deal? I mean, sure, they don't taste any different than, say, red M&Ms. But maybe she just likes green. Maybe it reminds her of the field behind her childhood home, or it makes her think of green growing things, or maybe she's on a Green Only diet, or it just went better with her chakra flow that month.

Whatever. Point is, she needed those d@mn green M&Ms. And they weren't there. Now that's what I call a deal breaker.

LOL. I don't know why that's stuck in my head as the epitome of 'diva-ness', but it is. "Diva, adj. A famous person who requests that specially prepared food (such as M&Ms of only one particular color) be placed in their dressing rooms." Eh. It happens.

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:56:00 PM, Blogger Brent said...

linds :

ahem....

where do i even start?

ok so first of all, do you seriously not know the (alleged) significance of GREEN m&m's?

seriously?

"maybe she just likes green. Maybe it reminds her of the field behind her childhood home, or it makes her think of green growing things, or maybe ...."

uh-huh...

ok i know you're from Ohio where y'all still get your news from a town crier -- but it is a universally known (or i thought it was) pop-culture myth that green m&m's are alleged to make you :

HORNY

sheesh.... do i have to tell you about oysters too? that's all i choose to say on the subject...

in regards to the allegations that i have appeared on cops (big thanks btw for the "great big naked white guy" characterization)... at least i don't WATCH the "show", as clearly you must do on a regular enough basis to know the kind of regulars it features, why on earth would you...

o wait that's right -- ohio

finally, IF someday i become famous and powerful enough to make diva-esque demands : i prefer diet "full throttle" to diet rock-star, and straight out of the can is good enough for me thank you very much... o and instead of the m&m's i would ask for .... er .... demand peeps and candy corn..

so :-P

- Brent

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:08:00 AM, Blogger word. said...

PEEPS???? one bite of peeps and I want to pukes. do you know how many preservatives are in those things??? They have no shelf life MEANING THEY DO NOT EXPIRE. That is just wrong. Doesn't 'lil G poop out skittles?? why don't you just eat those?

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:29:00 AM, Blogger Linds said...

No, no. My use of "great big naked white guy" was meant to evoke an impression of "Dude, you don't wanna mess with that great big naked white guy- he'll mess you uuuuup". Not corpulence: beefiness, of the ex-football player kind. See? Its all good.

I'm still not sure about the whole green M&M = horniness thing, though. I mean, ok, I never quite believed it about the whole raw oysters thing, either. But that's still more plausible than green M&Ms. Sigh. And yes, I quite like COPS. You can sit back and watch the show with law school friends, and check off all the illegal things the cops do. Fun! (Ever watch Reno 911? Ooooh. HilARious.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home